On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Mens hot Flats Mules Fashion Slip-on Casual Formal Leather shoes Business
- Fashion Work Safety Casual Combat Ankle Boots Mens Retro British Lace S71
- Safetoe Safety shoes Mens Work Boots Steel Toe Breathable US Size 5 - 14 L-7296
- Fashion Preppy style Mens Canvas Flats Lace Up Slip On Loafers Casual shoes NEW
- ADIDAS ORIGINALS 2019.SS CONTINENTAL 80 ATMOS Triple Red Athletic shoes
- VINTAGE STYLE COBURNE SQUARE CLASSIC BROWN LEATHER WING TIP POWER SHOES SIZE 10D
- TWISTED X MEN'S 10 DISTRESSED SADDLE BROWN PULL ON WORK BOOTS MWP0001 SALE
- NEW BALANCE Men’s x RICARDO SECO Running shoes Sz10 NEW UL574RS3 LIMITED EDITION
- 5.11 Boots XPRT 2.0 Desert... Dark Coyote Size 12
- Adidas Men's Terrex Agravic Speed Trail Runner
- PUMA 10401701 Mens Evospeed 17.4 FG Soccer shoes- Choose SZ color.
- Brooks classic runners UK6.5 EU40.5 US7.5 Vintage 90s
- Men & Women Athletic Trainers Running Triples Sports shoes Sneakers 4.5-11
- Rare Air Jordan AJF 4 Size 15 Perfect Condition
- NIKE AIR JORDAN 1 OG Yellow ochre 9 US 555088 109 Bred Shattered Toe Roy
- Adidas Neo Cloudfoam Qt Racer Womens Casual shoes AW4313 GREY Size 9
- FW15 ADIDAS shoes GAZELLE ESTIVE IN CANVAS TELA GRIGIE Q23105 SCARPA SHOES
- Stivali jc di castelbajac in gomma red taglia 39
- New Adidas X Reigning Champ Men's ULTRA BOOST ATR MID Oreo DB2043 ultraboost
- Tamaris women Booty 1-25463 Foderato shoes women Schnuerboot Stivaletto
- KEEN Flint Steel Toe Leather Utility Low Work Boots shoes Sz 8W Brown Teal
- Kenneth Cole REACTION Prime Bootie Ankle Boots, Burgundy, 7.5 US 38 EU
- Puma Basket Platform Creeper Metallic Sneakers- gold- Womens
- Womens Candy colors Raining Boots Tall Canister Mid Calf Waterproo Boots shoes
- England Girls Womens Ankle Boots Side Zip shoes Pointy Toe Low Chunky Heels Size
- Basque Womens shoes Size 8
- Memphisto Elka sandals 36 6 leather white
- Pikolinos Jerez Loafers-Women's size 8.5-9 Brandy
- PLEASER SKY-302SRS Neon UV Rhinestone Fill Platform Two Band Chrome Plated Slide
- Versace High Top Sneakers Size 10.5
- Men's Satorisan Heisei Suede Punch BRONZE Sneakers Worn 1X US 8
- Mens shoes Leather Brown Tie GBX Size 10.5 Med
- Dr. Scholl's Men's Fletcher Therapeutic Slipper, Grey, 43654 3E
- German Wear,Mokassins driving moc Freizeitschuhe lederschuhe Nubukleder Hellpink
- Men’s Justin 2 Tone Cowboy Boots size 8.5A Narrow
- Brahma Cowboy Western Ropper Boots Women”s Size 11 Mens Size 9
- ECCO Helsinki Coffee Brown Leather Bicycle Toe Loafers - Men's Size 44(EUR)
- Generra Collection Canterbury shoes Size 9.5M Loafers Mens Brown Leather
- Kenetrek 10 Northern 6 KE-0428-6K
- CHEANEY MONK STRAP – BROWN TAN - – PRINCETOWN - EXCELLENT CONDITION
- Cole Haan ZeroGrand Stitch Out Chukka Boot Grey Suede bluee C22342 Size 7.5
- 1811 adidas COPA 19.4 Men's Turf Soccer Football shoes D98070
- Ash Nilo men White Red Pelle shoes da Ginnastica - 43 EU
- Mens Size 11 US ASICS TIGER GEL-LYTE 1193A026-400 NEW IN BOX Peacoat White
- Reebok Men's Driftium Ride Running shoes
- 1 of 4
- next ›