On June 19, 2018, the Department of Justice sent ato Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton requesting answers to questions about Texas' pending request for certification for purposes of obtaining the benefits of Chapter 154 of Title 28. The questions were based largely on comments submitted in response to the Texas application. There is no specific due date for the response.
On March 20, 2018, the Supreme Court granted a stay of execution to Missouri death row inmate Russell Bucklew pending the disposition of his certiorari petition. The Chief Justice and Justices Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch would have denied the stay application. Bucklew's cert petition raises the following questions: (1) Should a court evaluating an as-applied challenge to a state’s method of execution based on an inmate’s rare and severe medical condition assume that medical personnel are competent to manage his condition and that the procedure will go as intended? (2) Must evidence comparing a state’s
On March 21, 2018, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Ayestas v. Davis, 584 U.S. ___ (March 21, 2018). This case concerns the denial of funding to a habeas petitioner. The Supreme Court assumes, without deciding, that a COA is required to appeal the denial of funds and finds that the rule applied by the district court in denying funding was not only debatable but actually erroneous. It further finds that the district court’s ruling on the funding request was not an administrative decision such that the court of appeals and the Supreme Court lacked jurisdiction to hear the appeal. Turning to the merits, the Supreme Court held that the lower courts applied the wrong legal standard when denying petitioner funds under 18 U.S.C. §3599(f). The statute authorizes funding that is “reasonably necessary” for the representation of an applicant. The Fifth Circuit’s requirement that an applicant establish a “substantial need” for the funding was arguably more demanding than the statute requires. The Fifth Circuit exacerbated the problem by invoking precedent that a habeas petitioner seeking funding must present “a viable constitutional claim that is not procedurally barred.” This precedent is too restrictive
On February 23, 2018, a complaint and request for injunctive relief was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Texas Defender Service, et al. v. Sessions, et al., 1:18-cv-00426-RBW. This action under the Administrative Procedure Act,, 5 U.S.C. §§
551-59, 701-06, seeks injunctive and other relief to set aside the Final Rule regarding Certification Process For State Capital Counsel System, 78 Fed. Reg. 58,160-01 (Sept. 23, 2013), issued by the Department of Justice. Various comments challenging the applications of Arizona and Texas seeking certification as compliant with Chapter 154 have been submitted to the Department of Justice.
On February 26, 2018, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari review in Madison v. Alabama, 17-7505.
The preamble to the questions presented explains: On January 25, 2018, the State seeks for the second time to execute Vernon Madison, a 67-year-old man who has been on Alabama’s death row for over 30 years. Mr. Madison suffers from vascular dementia as a result of multiple serious strokes in the last two years, and no longer has a memory of the commission of the crime for which he is to be executed. His mind and body are failing: he suffers from encephalomacia (dead brain tissue), small vesselischemia, speaks in a dysarthric or slurred manner, is legally blind, can no longer walk independently, and has urinary incontinence as a consequence of damage to his brain.
New with box: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) in the original packaging (such as ... Read moreabout the condition
|US Shoe Size (Women's):||Multiple Variations||Model:|
JAZZ LOWPRO VEGAN-W
JAZZ LOWPRO VEGAN-W
On November 16, 2017, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the district court's denial of relief on Virginia death row inmate Anthony Juniper's Brady claim and remanded for an evidentiary hearing. Juniper v. Zook, ___ F.3d ___ (4th Cir. Nov.
On November 16, 2017, the Department of Justice published in the Federal Register a notice advising the public that the State of Arizona has by the Attorney General and that public comments may be submitted to the Department of Justice regarding Arizona's request. Also on November 16, 2017, the Department of Jusice published in the Federal Register a
In Kirkpatrick v. Chappell, ___ F.3d ___ (9th Cir. Oct. 10. 2017), the majority of a three-judge panel reversed the district court's ruling that certain claims in William Kirkpatrick's federal habeas petition were unexhausted and, therefore, subject to dismissal.
In a pre-AEDPA case, Eric Kimble received habeas relief, on a claim, inter alia, of ineffective assistance of counsel at the penalty phase of Kimble's capital trial. , 2:90-cv-04826-SVW (Order Granting in Part Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus - June 19, 2017).
We have new software for capdefnet.org that we believe will improve the usefulness of the site to the capital defense community. Please bear with us as we work through the glitches. Persons who had accounts for HAT's secure page should have received instructions for obtaining a password using the new software. Apologies for the lack of advance warnings. Please report any problems or concerns to Wendy Peoples.
- Nautica Women's Lagoon Flip Flop - Choose SZ color
- Josef Seibel Faye Ankle Boots - Women's Size 9, Brown
- Womens Clubwear shoes Casual Over Knee Thigh BOOT Pointed Toe Stiletto High Heel
- Soludos Women's Elba Flat Sandal Sz Womens 9 double strap Dove Grey New Birken
- NEW CASUAL DRESSY PREMIUM LEATHER MEN'S SHOES BY JOSE BOTTA
- Adidas Men's Forest Hills Casual Sneaker shoes
- Adidas Mens Campus Athletic & Sneakers Green
- OLUKAI 'OHANA HUSK CLAY 10110A-6Z10 OC MENS FLIP FLOPS MENS 9
- Mens Tiger Embroidery Loafers Slip on Casual Board Street Driving Walking shoes
- V12 PUMA Sicherheit Stiefel VR602 honigfarbenes Nubuk-Leder Arbeits ZEHENBEREICH
- Allen Edmonds Brown Sharkskin Wingtip Oxford shoes Made in USA 11D
- BORN Mens 12 Leather shoes Slip On Loafers Brown Moccasins Comfort
- KEEN Hamilton Working and Waterproof Boots 1016982 6 inches Width D or EE
- Carhartt Men's CMS4200 4 Romeo Work Boot
- New adidas LITE RACER CF SLIP-ON ADAPT - B44766 Cloudfoam Triple Grey shoes
- Men Snake Skin Pattern Chelsea Ankle Boots Leather Pointy Toe Dress shoes Formal
- SAUCONY Zapatillas Originales Jazz O' Vintage Ante hombre blue Marino 70419 02
- MENS NIKE LUNAR FINGERTRAP TR TRAINING SHOES SIZE 12.5 NEW 898066 001
- Stars Women Urban R31 Modern shoes
- Lugz Men's Changeover Ii Ice Fashion Sneaker
- Adidas Real Deal Teal White Model Q32864 Men's Sz 10 Damian Lillard
- Adidas Yeezy Boost 700 Salt - Size 6.5 EG7487 100% Authentic
- Lanvin Paris Zebra Printed Calfskin Mid Top Running shoes Trainers UK6 US7
- shoes MIZUNO women Pallavolo women pink PU,Tessuto V1GC1740-61
- Stivali sancho di la pink numero 38,5
- NIKE LUNAR STELOS (BLK WHT) WOMENS RUNNING
- Womens Fashion Suede Leather Fur Lined Lace Up Pull On Ankle Snow Boots shoes
- FRYE Men's Ryan Militarie Ankle Bootie
- SAM & LIBBY LEATHER Snakeskin WESTERN Cowboy Side Zip Ankle Boots Womens Sz 5.5
- Stylish Womens faux suede pointy toe stiletto heel cross trap ankle boots Zip Sz
- NIKE PICO 4 PSV SPORT SHOES JUNIOR GIRL GYM SHOES 454477 103
- Asics Gel Lyte V Women's Running shoes Size 6
- New B BRIAN ATWOOD dark green pony hair suede pumps shoes made in 37 US 7
- Justin Boots Duralit Red Leather Kiltie Lace Up Cowboy Western Women's size 5 B
- Tamaris Chelsea Boots Stiefeletten dunkel-berry (bordeaux-red) Größe 37 38
- ESPIRIT Danika Women Studded Pointed Toe Ballet Flats Leather
- Sneakers Chunky Brimarts 418190 azzurro stile Balenciaga Made in
- Mocassini TOD'S pelle brown Numero 6,5
- NFN Gourmet Quatro R Dark Green Gum Size 9
- Webers Leather Slippers, Realtree AP Brown 11, 503511 11 Men's Slippers
- Lace up classic Mens Pointy toe real Leather Formal Oxfords Brogue Dress shoes
- Polo Ralph Lauren Vaughn Men's Green Canvas Fashion Sneakers shoes Size 12D New
- shoes IGI&CO men Mocassini grey Scamosciato 7701300S
- 1 of 4
- next ›